Doubtless the vaccinations are important against distemper, parvovirose and hepatitis for every dog.
Now from the WSAVA – world veterinarian’s association becomes, nevertheless, the control of Titern – distemper (S), Parvovirose (P), perhaps to avoid also hepatitis (H) recommended around unnecessary boosters. Every vaccination can release side effects, up to the death of the dog. Combination vaccines against several illnesses are especially risky.
If the dog has a positive Titer, he has formed circulating antibodies against the called infection illnesses and must not be inoculated against these illnesses again. Up to now the Titerbestimmung was relatively cost-intensive in a lab. Since some time there are also in Germany quick tests, how z. B.den VaccicheckR. Indeed, one must find only a veterinarian who also offers this test.
My 1 year-old bitch (inoculated in 9. And 16th week) I wanted to save next SHP-vaccination and be sure, nevertheless, that it is protected. According to WSAVA 98% of the puppies after the primary vaccination at the puppy’s age have a positive Antibody-Titer and only because of remaining 2% all dogs with 15 months are inoculated over again.
After some telephone calls I had in the university veterinarian hospital of Munich an appointment. A tiny amount of blood was taken from the vein in the hind leg – the bitch has hardly noted it – after half an hour the result: very positive Titer against distemper, Parvovirose, hepatitis. So no vaccination urgently!! I had expected exactly this result.
As functioned this test:
The VaccicheckR (from Biogal), originally in the USA introduced, is a shooting up. With a test Kit are tested at the same time antibody titers for distemper, Parvovirose and hepatitis.
The blood must not be sent in a foreign lab. The test is carried out on thawing directly in the veterinarian’s practise. The result is given within half an hour. The Test-Kit costs no 10.00€ to the veterinarian. The test works semiquantitativ, that is it can be determined no exact antibodies height of the titer.
In the test 6 grey steps with increasing intensity are judgeable:
no grey colouring and weak colouring (step 1-2): Consequence repeated vaccination.
Clearer grey colouring (step 3-4) and strong grey colouring (step 5-6): Antikörper-Titer high enough – no vaccination urgently.
How often other titer controls be carried out now?
This is discussed among veterinarians controversially. If one assumes, however, from the fact that the protection of a successful vaccination stops for years or even for life (directives of the world veterinarian’s association), other Titerkontrollen are not presumably necessary.
The human Titer controls are also not carried out after vaccination with virus living vaccines in Germany.
Immunological experts, hold a titer control only for puppy in 5./6. Life week, to the regulation of the right vaccination time (here, however, regulation of the exact titer height) and for young dogs after the basic immunisation at the puppy’s age for sensible. The test can be carried out from approx. 2 weeks after a vaccination.
A positive Titer presumably protects for life, and a repeated vaccination with positive titer does not raise the protection.
Dr. Birgit Gerber is a doctor for human medicine and amateur breeder of Irish Terriers.
Vaccination Guidelines for new puppy owners [WSAVA Vaccination Guidelines, May 2013]
Guidelines for the Vaccination of Dogs and Cats [WSAVA Vaccination Guidelines, June 2010]
Use of the term ‘Booster’ [Letter to WSAVA from Elizabeth Hart, August, 20th 2013]
Impfempfehlung der Ständigen Impfkommission Vet. für Hunde [bpt, Juli 2013]
- Impfkritik: Wie impfen wir unsere Hunde richtig ?
- Jaehrliche Impfungen sind Kunstfehler: Chihuahua bekam 70 Impfungen
- Impfen: Hetzjagd im Rechthaber-Labyrinth
- Pharmaindustrie: Erfundene Krankheiten – das Geschäft mit der Angst
- Impfungen: Krankheit statt Gesundheit
- Tiermedizin: Krankheit statt Gesundheit?
- Bleibt ihr Hund durch impfen gesund?
- Tierärzte – Das Geschäft mit der Tierliebe
- Die Sache mit der Wurmkur
- Mehr Transparenz und Ethik in der Tiermedizin!
- Unheilbar war gestern